Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Unnecessary Government Spending


While driving through Austin, I see a crazy number of signs warning me to drive now text later, or even just saying drive safely. Are taxpayer dollars really spending money on these pointless signs? I’m sure everyone of age to drive knows what could result of texting and driving. Those that chose to take the risk anyway are hardly going to be affected by some trivial sign. I just can’t vision someone picking up their phone to shoot a text while driving and seeing a sign that reads “Drive now, Text later,” and changing their mind all of a sudden. I certainly don’t see a reckless driver changing the way they drive by reading a sign that says “Drive Safely.”

I understand the reason behind the no texting while driving campaign, but I feel road signs are a lousy way to convince people otherwise. There are much better things to do with government spending. Think of the actual things we could accomplish if that money went toward something a bit more meaningful and consequential like educational grants for deserving students, healthcare, improvement of our infrastructure etc.

I do realize that this is one of many minor spending issues in our state that most likely wouldn’t even put a dent in the other larger programs I mentioned. However, if the government put a stop to multiple unnecessary spending projects, the money could be substantial in helping essential programs and projects throughout Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment